Shami Kebabs are a delicious combination of mince meat, gram lentil and spices. It is very popular in India and Pakistan. Chicken Shami Kabab Recipe is perfect to serve as side dish or you can also use these kebabs to make burger.
This is my own recipe. You will get perfect soft and delicious kababs by following it.
In this recipe kebabs are made with chicken but you can use mutton or beef mince as well. But remember beef or mutton gets time to tenderize. If you are looking other recipe for shami kabab, have a look on Beef Shami Kabab and Shahi Malai Shami Kabab.
How to Freeze Shami Kabab
- You can also freeze these kebabs before frying for 2-3 weeks in a plastic box.
- Layer kebab in an air tight box then lay cling film over kababs, repeat layering and place in freezer.
- When you want to fry, just take out from freezer, dip in egg and fry
Easy Chicken Shami Kabab Recipe
- Chicken 1 kg (large pieces, preferable boneless)
- Water 3 cups
- Bengal gram lentil (dal chana) 2 cups (washed and soaked)
- Onion 1 large (sliced)
- Garlic 1 pod
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder 2 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Green chilies 8 (finely chopped)
- Garam masala powder 1 tsp
- Eggs 2 (beaten)
- Oil for frying
- Add chicken, dal chana, onion, garlic, salt, red chili power and water in cooking pan.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 5 minutes than slow the flame.
- Cook until chicken and dal chana gets soft and slightly water remains.
- Now add coriander powder and cumin powder. Mix.
- The mixture should just about dry, there should be little moisture. Check spices and adjust seasoning. Add garam masala and chopped green chilies.
- Remove from heat. Let it cool. (Discard bones if chicken is with bones)
- Grind in a food processor until smooth.
- Leave covered in the fridge for an hour or two to set a little.
- Make flat kebab.
- Add just enough oil in frying pan to cover the surface. Dip the kebabs with the egg. Add 3 to 4 kebabs at a time and fry on medium low heat until brown and crisp from both sides.
- Serve with tomato ketchup or chili garlic sauce.