Want to try something new in the kitchen? Murgh Cholay Recipe is easy and healthy to make. A mix of spices with chicken and chickpeas gives this dish an authentic taste.
This hearty recipe of Murgh Cholay offers a great taste. You can also include boiled eggs and kofte in chole in place of chicken. Serve this in breakfast and lunch with hot naan.
- Chicken 1 kg
- White chickpeas 500 gm
- Pink lentil ½ cup (boiled)
- Salt as required (divided)
- Clarified butter 1 cup
- Onion 2 medium
- Ginger garlic paste 4 teaspoons
- Red chili powder 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder ½ tea spoon ¼ cup
- Dry coriander powder ½ teaspoon
- Kashmiri Mirch 1 teaspoon
- Tomatoes 3 medium (chopped)
- Yogurt ¼ cup
For Ground Masala
- White cumin ½ teaspoon
- Dry coriander ½ teaspoon
- Fennel seeds ¼ teaspoon
- Carom seeds 1 pinch
- Dry ginger powder ¼ teaspoon
- Cloves 3
- Cinnamon stick 1 small
- Black cardamom 1
- Green cardamom 1
For Ground Masala
- Dry roast white cumin, dry coriander, and fennel seeds in a frying pan.
- Now grind all spices into powder.
For Cholay (Chickpeas)
- Rinse chickpeas with water 2-3 times then soak in lukewarm water overnight. Add baking soda and put a teabag in water to get a brownish color of chickpeas.
- Next day boil chickpeas in the same water with ½ teaspoon salt until soft and messy (don’t throw water).
- Mix boiled pink lentil in chickpeas and cook over slow heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat clarified butter and fry chicken until color is changed. Remove chicken.
- In the same clarified butter fry onion until light brown. Sauté ginger garlic paste for about one minute.
- Now add salt (remember salt is also added before) and other spices with tomatoes, and yogurt to cook until oil separates.
- Add chicken and 1/2 cup water; cover and cook until chicken tender.
- Include chickpeas and lentils mixture in chicken, add 2 tbsp ground masala and mix nicely.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until gets desired thickness. Mash a few of the chickpeas to thicken the gravy.
- Serve Murgh Cholay with hot naan.