Mutton Nihari is one of the mouthwatering Pakistani Food recipes, this is among those dishes that I love only from my own cooked. A very simple and easy recipe with a lip-smacking taste. Even its gravy is much flavorsome. Serve it with naan.
You will also like Homemade Beef Nihari
How to Make Mutton Nihari
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 4 hours
Total time: 4 hours 10 mins
- Mutton with bones 1 kg
- Fennel seeds 2 tbsp
- Dry ginger medium piece
- Salt to taste
- Ghee 1 cup
- Onion 2 (sliced)
- Ginger, garlic paste 2 tbsp
- Red chili powder 2 tbsp
- Pisi Kashmiri mirch or paprika powder ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Wheat flour 1/2 cup
- Garam masala powder 1 tbsp
- Desi ghee 1 cup
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Fried onion, lemon, green chilies, sliced ginger and green coriander
- Tie fennel seeds and dry ginger in a muslin cloth like a potli.
- Put meat in a cooking pan with 2 jugs water, salt and potli. Cover and cook until meat is half done about 2 hours.
- Now separate meat and stock.
- Heat up ghee and fry onion to light brown, remove onion and blend it to make paste, return paste in ghee again.
- Now add ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, pisi kashmiri mirch/paprika powder and turmeric. Add meat and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- When ghee will separate, add yogurt and cook until yogurt water dries. You will see a nice color of masala at this stage.
- Now add reserved stock, cover and increase flame for 5 minutes when starts boiling reduce heat and cook until meat fully tender about 2 hours and required broth left. If the broth is less then add little more water. Check salt at this stage.
- Mix flour in 1 cup of water and pour paste in gravy slowly to thick it. Don’t add all paste at once. It’s up to you how much thick gravy you want. Mix on high flame.
- Mix garam masala in ¼ cup of water and include it in thick gravy. Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Pour over baghar.
- Dish out and serve with fried onion, lemon, green chilies, sliced ginger and green coriander.
- Serve with [url href=”http://wp.me/p3YeDU-1L7″]Baked Naan[/url]
- For Bagher: heat up ghee in frying pan, add red chili powder, mix and remove from heat and immediately pour over nihari.