These peri bites are a tasty and exciting twist on the traditional green chili. They come with small chunks of chicken, as well as cheese filling!
These make for great appetizers at your next party event or get together – especially if you’re looking to spice things up a little bit more than usual.
Also Check Other: Ramadan Recipes
Nando’s Peri Bites
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- Chicken breast ½
- Peri-peri sauce 2 tsp (hot or wild flavor)
- Cooking oil ½ tsp
- Milk 2 tbsp
- Grated cheese 2 tbsp (cheddar or mozzarella or one tbsp each)
- Mayonnaise 1 tbsp
- Green chilies 8-10 (approx. 3 inches in length)
- Egg white 1
- Flour 2 tsp
- Salt 1 pinch
- Pepper 1 pinch
- Bread crumbs 1 cup (for coating)
- Milk 1 cup (for coating)
- A piping bag with the long nozzle (thin opening) or a sterile syringe (with the needle removed)
- Take the chicken breast and cut it into small ½ inch pieces.
- Put cooking oil in a frying pan, add the chicken and the peri-peri sauce, and cook until the chicken is tender (approx. 80% cooked).
- In another sauce pan, heat the milk and add the cheese to it; when the texture is nice and smooth, let it sit till it reaches room temperature.
- Mix in the mayonnaise to the cheese sauce and fill it up in the piping bag or syringe.
- Using a knife, carefully make a cut perpendicular to the base of the chilies, 1 to 1.5 cm in length; remove the seeds with caution without tearing the chili surface.
- Insert one chicken chunk into each chili followed by a small quantity of the cheese sauce using a piping bag or syringe.
- Keep these chilies in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Now mix the egg white in a separate bowl and pour it on top of the chilies; also mix in the flour, salt and pepper into the mix and coat all the chilies evenly.
- Roll each chili in bread crumbs, followed by a dip in the milk and back into the bread crumbs for a nice, thick coat.
- Once all chilies are done, put them in the freezer for another 15 minutes so that the coating can settle properly.
- Deep fry in very hot oil until they have a nice golden coat.
- Serve immediately with peri-peri sauce, tomato ketchup or mayonnaise.
Recipe adopted from Nando’s Peri Bites