In many countries fresh bread in eaten with meal, no matter what type of bread is. Fresh bread gives a delicate aroma. Try this Turkish Bread Recipe and enjoy with your meal.
Also Check: Taftan Bread, Pita Bread
Homemade Turkish Bread
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 2 hours 15 mins
- Dried instant yeast 1 tbsp
- Caster sugar 1/2 tsp
- Warm water 375 ml
- All purpose flour 500g
- Salt 2 tsp
- Extra-virgin olive oil 60-90ml ( or vegtable oil )
- Egg 1 + 2 tbsp milk for egg wash
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in 150 ml of the warm water and set aside in a warm place for about 10 minutes until frothy.
- Use your fingers to work 90g of the flour into the yeast to make a sloppy paste. Sprinkle lightly with a little more flour, then cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes to form a ‘sponge’.
- Put the remaining flour and the salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture, oil and remaining water. (Add water slowly)
- Use your fingers to work it to a soft, sloppy dough. Don’t panic: it is meant to be very sticky!
- Knead until very smooth and springy. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl, then cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rest at room temperature for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- When ready to bake the bread, preheat the oven to its highest setting with two pizza pans or oiled baking tray in it.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface. Use the heels of your hands to press. Divide the dough in two, then flatten each piece of dough out to a 20 cm oval, shift in pizza pan or baking tray and leave, covered, to rest for 30 minutes.
- Brush the bread liberally with the egg wash. Dip your fingertips into the egg wash and mark rows of deep indentations across and down the length of the dough, leaving a narrow border. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for 10-15 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
You can also refrigerate the dough until you are ready to use it. It will keep for around 24 hours, but take it out of the refrigerator a good 3 hours before you want to use it, to give it time to return to room temperature slowly