I like Cake Rusk more than the cookies and biscuits. 😀 It is costly when bought from shop but it can be cheap if made at home. This is one of best recipe of Cake Rusk by Zarnak Sidhwa. Zarnak is using a long pan but you can use a Cake pan as well. When the cake is baked, Cut it into your required cake rusk size and go through the remaining process and enjoy with tea.
Homemade Cake Rusk Recipe
- Flour 1 cup
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Salt a pinch
- Butter 1/2 cup
- Caster sugar 3/4 cup
- Yellow food colour a few drops
- Eggs 3
- Vanilla essence 1 tsp
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt, then set it aside.
- Beat the butter with the caster sugar until fluffy and pale in color. Add the color and mix well.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then add in the flour, mixing only until just combined. Finally fold in the vanilla essence.
- Pour the batter (it will be a thick batter) into a greased and lined 7×11 pan. (You can use any pan you like, but I chose to use a big pan so as to get a thin layer cake, that way the strips are nice and evenly baked).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Turn the cake out and let it cool. Then, using a sharp knife, cut it down the middle, then into thin strips.
- Place the strips on a baking sheet, and put the sheet back into the oven.
- Bake at 150 C for 15 minutes. Turn them over and bake the other side for another 15 minutes.
- If they need more time in the oven, turn down the heat a little bit and let them bake for slightly longer until they are golden brown and crisp on all sides.
- Remove on to a wire-rack and let them cool. Store in an airtight container.