Tea and chai is same thing with two different names. In Asian region tea is called chai. There are different methods to make tea according to cultures. Dum chai is a flavorsome delicacy which got its name from the cooking method dum technique. Dum cooking also known as slow cooking.
What makes dum ki chai different from regular chai?
In dum chai, chai is brewed on a low flame by covering the lid to lock the aroma. It is brewed for a longer period of time than regular tea. On the other side milk is also boiled for longer time to get the creamy texture. At the end tea and milk is combined. Green cardamoms use to make it more flavorful.
Hyderabadi Dum Chai
Cuisine: Pakistani – Indian
Author: Home Chef
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Water 3 cups
- Tea 2 tbsp
- Ginger 1 inch piece (optional)
- Milk 4 cups
- Sugar 2 tbsp or to taste
- Green cardamom 2-4
- Take a heavy bottom pan, fill with water. Add ginger and tea leaves.
- Cover the lid tightly and simmer on low heat about 40 minutes or until 3/4 cup tea left.
- In the meantime, take another pan, pour milk and add cardamom.
- Bring to boil, when it starts boiling; leave to simmer until half milk left. In between add sugar.
- Stir the milk in intervals to avoid it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Milk should be thick and creamy.
- Using a strainer pour tea in cups about ¼ cup in each. Add thick milk.