Pakistani breakfasts are hearty and delicious, and the halwa puri recipe is no exception! This dish is made up of three components: halwa, puri, and allu chana bhaji.
Halwa is a sweet, pudding-like dessert that is made with semolina, sugar, and ghee. Puri is a deep-fried flatbread that is served with halwa and allu chana bhaji.
If you’re looking for a delicious and hearty breakfast to start your day, look no further than Halwa Puri Cholay!
Homemade halwa puri recipe
- All purpose flour (maida) 2 cups
- Oil/ghee 2 tbsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Baking powder 1 pinch (optional)
- Warm milk + Water for kneading
For Aloo Chana Bhaji
- White chickpeas (white channay) 250gm
- Potato 3 medium size (cubed)
- Baking soda 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Oil/ghee 1/2 cup
- Onion 1 medium (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Crushed red pepper 1 tsp
- White cumin (zeera) 1/2 tsp (crushed)
- Dry coriander (sokha daniya) 1/2 tsp (crushed)
- Garam masala powder 1 tsp
- Tomato 1 (paste)
- Kalonji 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies 3-4 (sliced)
- Green coriander handful (chopped)
- Ginger 1 inch piece (julian)
- Semolina (Sooji) 1 cup
- Sugar 2cups
- Ghee 1 cup
- Elaichi(cardamom) 2
- Water 4 cups
- Gram flour(besan) 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda A pinch
- Desiccated coconut 1 tbsp
- Almond 10 (chopped)
- Pistachio 10 (chopped)
For Aloo Chana Bhaji
- Soak chickpeas in water with baking soda overnight.
- The next day throw water, add new water, and 1/4 tsp baking soda in chickpeas. Boil them and leave one cup stock.
- Heat oil/ghee in the cooking pan and brown the onion.
- Now add salt, crushed white cumin (zeera), crushed dry coriander (sokha daniya), crushed red pepper and garam masala.
- Stir fry, then add tomato paste. Mix well, add stock and add potato.
- Cover and cook until potato done.
- Now add kalonji and white chickpeas. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- You can mash poatao and chickpeas at this stage.
- Now add green chilies, green coriander and ginger.
- Simmer until oil comes on top.
- Aloo Chana Bhaji is ready.
- In a wok (karahi) add water, sugar, and baking soda, bring to boil for about 5 minutes until sugar is dissolved. (Sugar syrup) Sheera is ready, turn off the flame.
- In a separate pan, heat ghee add elaichi then add sooji, keep on stirring on low flame until sooji turns light in colour then remove from flame.
- Add now gram flour(besan), coconut keeps on stirring well then turn on flame cook sooji, besan on low flame until it becomes lightly golden.
- Then add slowly your sheera, keep on stirring, be careful it’s very hot, then cook for about 5 minutes then cover the lid.
- On very low flame leave it for about 15 minutes until ghee separated and sooji cooked well.
- Halwa is ready, add coconut, almond, pistachio according to your taste.
- Mix all ingredients and knead with warm milk and water.
- Rest it for at least half an hour.
- Make small balls out of dough, cover, and let them rest again for 15 minutes.
- Roll the puris and fry them in hot oil.
Serve hot puris with aloo chana bhaji, halwa and achar.
Note: Halwa is recreated by following Zoha Omer Recipe.