Mian Jee Ki Daal is one of the most popular dishes of a restaurant situated on GT road LalaMosa. The dal is a blend of 3 kinds of dals. This is made with desi ghee, which is a specialty of dal. Therefore, prepare it in desi ghee and you will get its exact flavor.
Mian Jee Ki Daal Recipe
- Dal chana 1/2 cup (soak for 1 hour)
- Dal masoor 1/2 cup (soak for 1 hour)
- Dal mash 1/2 cup (soak for 1 hour)
- Onion 2 (sliced)
- Desi ghee 1 cup
- Yogurt 1/2 cup
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
- Green chilies 4-5 (sliced)
- Salt 1 tsp or to taste
- Black pepper powder 1 tsp
- Sokha dania (dry coriander powder) 1 tsp
- Red chili powder 1 tbsp
- Cumin (zeera) 1 tsp
- Sokhi methi (dry fenugreek) 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder 1 tbsp
- Add all dals (lentils) to a cooking pan. Add water and turmeric and boil until soft. Keep aside.
- Fry sliced onion in a little oil, grind it, and keep aside.
- Heat up 1/2 cup ghee in the cooking pan.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sliced green chili and saute for 20 seconds.
- Now add red chili powder, garam masala powder, black pepper powder, cumin powder, dry coriander powder.
- Stir continuously.
- Add yogurt and cook for a minute or until oil separates.
- Then add fried onion and bhoonfyingig nicely.
- Now add boil lentils in masala, mix well, add salt and cook on slow heat.
- Mash lentils with a spoon. It should be in thick consistency.
- Cook it on slow heat for about 5 minutes.
- At the end sprinkle sokhi methi and garam masala powder.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Heat up the remaining 1/2 cup ghee in a saucepan and add 3-4 sliced green chilies. Stir fry for 5 seconds and pour over dal.