The Portuguese are well known for their tasty and tangy grills. This grilled chicken recipe, tangy and very spicy, is undoubtedly one of the most appreciated by lovers of Portuguese rotisseries.
The succulence of the chicken meat is combined with the spicy taste of the marinade. The very spicy taste of the sauce enhances the delicate flavor of the meat!
This recipe is made with chicken leg pieces but you can of course make this recipe with a whole chicken.
Easy Peri Peri Chicken Recipe
- Chicken leg piece 2
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Oil for frying
For Peri Peri Sauce
- Kashmiri red chilies 6
- Button red chilies 3
- Garlic 2 cloves
- Ginger 1 tbsp (sliced)
- Onion 1 small (sliced)
- Paprika powder 1 tsp
- Mixed herbs 1/2 tsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Red chili flakes 1 tsp
- Sugar 1/2 tsp
- Soya sauce 1 tsp
- Tomato ketchup 1 tsp
- White vinegar 1/4 cup
- Apply deep cuts on leg pieces.
- In a large bowl, drizzle the chicken with lemon juice and sprinkle with salt. Let stand in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Blend all Peri Peri Sauce ingredients into a paste.
- Apply the paste on chicken leg pieces and marinade for 3-4 hours or overnight.
For Frying Pan Cooking
- While keeping leg pieces in a bowl, place hot charcoal over a dry bread on chicken, drop some oil and cover it for 5 minutes.
- Discard charcoal.
- Now heat 2 tbsp cooking oil in a nonstick frying pan, place leg pieces and cook on high flame for 1 minute.
- Flip the chicken pieces and cook for 1 more minute on high flame.
- Then cover and cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Again flip carefully, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Keep flipping and cook until fully cooked.
For Barbecue Cooking
- Oil a barbecue grill (charcoal if possible) and heat on high to 400 ℉ (200 ℃). Place the chicken on the grill.
- After 15 minutes of cooking, reduce barbecue temperature to medium – 300 ℉ (150 ℃), brush with marinade. Turn and brush often. Cooking will take about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 ℉ (200 ℃). Place the chicken pieces on a roasting pan.
- After 15 minutes of cooking, reduce the temperature to 300 ℉ (150 ℃) and brush with the marinade. Brush often.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Check if tender takes it out.
- Serve hot with fries.
Also Try: Grilled Chicken with Peri Peri Sauce