Here is an easy recipe for you to make Pita Bread at home. This is my tried and tested recipe of pita bread. Use your homemade pita to make Shawarma.
Easy Pita Bread Recipe
- Plain flour 2 cups
- White flour 1 cup
- Dry yeast 1-1/4 tea spoons
- Salt 1 tea spoon
- Milk 2 cups
- Oil 4 tea spoons
- In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients, then add some milk and make sure that salt and yeast grains are fully mixed. Add milk and kneed the dough about 5 minutes. When the mixture starts looking like dough, add oil and keep kneading until the oil is mixed with the rest.
- When the dough is too stiff to stir, turn it out onto a lightly floured board and kneed for 5 to 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Leave it in the bowl; apply oil on surface and cover to rise for 30 minutes on warm place. When the dough is about double to its original size, punch it down to eliminate the air bubbles and leave for more 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 180 degree C.
- Take pieces of dough according to what size of pita bread you want, and roll them out on a surface sprinkled with flour. Flatten each piece of dough and make a shape of pita bread.
- Place pita bread on greased baking try and bake for about 6-8 minutes at the middle rack. Turn them on the other side after first couple of minutes. Let it cool.