Tawa Chicken is a spicy dish from Lahore, Pakistan. The specialty of this recipe lies in its cooking process as it uses Tawas to sear the chicken meat evenly on all sides.
Tawa Chicken Recipe is a famous dish of Arif Chatkhara House in Lahore. Simple spices are used for preparation.
This is traditional served with thin plain chapatti that is cooked on upside-down tawa. But this is not easy to make that chappati at home so it also goes delicious with tandoori roti and simple paratha.
Also See: Chicken Recipes
Special Tawa Chicken Recipe
- Chicken leg piece 2
- Oil ¼ cup
- For Marinade
- Garlic paste 1 tsp
- Ginger paste 2 tsp
- Salt 3/4 tsp or to taste
- Red chili powder 1 tsp
- Lemon juice 2 tsp
- For Masala
- Onion 1 medium (sliced)
- Tomato 2 (chopped)
- Green chilies 4
- Ginger 1 inch piece (sliced)
- Salt ½ tsp
- Red chili powder ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder ½ tsp
- Crushed black pepper ¼ tsp
- Crushed coriander ½ tsp
- Crushed cumin ½ tsp
- Dry fenugreek 1 tbsp
- For Garnish
- Green chilies, green coriander and ginger
- Wash and clean the chicken leg pieces and apply cuts.
- Now one by one sprinkle marinade ingredients over leg pieces and rub evenly. Leave it for 2-3 hours.
- Heat oil/ghee on griddle/tawa (I used wide bottom iron wok). Shift chicken leg pieces on tawa, stir once so it does not stick with tawa.
- Cover and cook on low heat in steam for 10 minutes.
- Turnover and side, cover and cook more 10 minutes.
- Now place onion, tomato, green chili, ginger on sides and top of chicken.
- Sprinkle all the spices. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now mash the tomato with spoon and stir the chicken pieces. If it is sticking with pan, add a splash of water and cover again. Cook for more 5 minutes so the masala will mix.
- Dish out and garnish with green chilies, coriander and ginger.