Kofta Curry is a South Asian and Middle Eastern dish that is made with mince. Small size balls are made with mince and spices mixture. In Pakistan, India, Iran, and Turkey koftas are usually made of lamb, beef, mutton, or chicken.
In Iran and Pakistan, koftas are served with spiced gravy and simmer with boiled eggs. Kofta dishes are very popular with South Asian immigrants to the U.K. and are widely available from many Pakistani and Indian restaurants.
I have noticed many people made kofta after frying, once I also tried that way of cooking but I didn’t like that much. My mother cooks in another way and without any doubt, it tastes great. Here is our family secret recipe. 🙂
Beef/Mutton Koftay Recipe
- Mutton/beef mince ½ kg (dry)
- Eggs 2
- Chickpeas powder ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder 1 tea spoon
- Garam masala powder powder ½ teaspoon
For the Curry
- Onions 3 medium (sliced)
- Ginger paste 2 teaspoons
- Garlic paste 2 teaspoons
- Green chilies 2 (chopped)
- Salt ½ teaspoon or to taste
- Red chili powder 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric ½ teaspoon
- Tomato 2 medium (chopped)
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Fresh coriander leaves ½ cup
- Green chilies 4 (sliced)
- Water as required
- Oil ½ cup
- Boiled eggs 4
- Add all kofta ingredients to the food processor to mix well.
- Shapes mince mixture into balls. Set aside.
For the Curry
- Fry onion in oil until golden brown. Sauté ginger and garlic paste, add a splash of water.
- Put chopped tomatoes, chopped green chilies, red chili powder, turmeric powder, dry coriander powder, and salt. Stir well and cook until tomatoes soften and a good mixture of masala prepares.
- Now pour 2 glasses of water, allow boiling. Add kofta’s one by one. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until kofta’s mince tender. High the flame and dries up water.
- When oil floats on top, add water according to your required gravy. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder, fresh coriander leaves, and sliced green chilies. Turn off the flame.
- Halve the boiled eggs.
- Serve hot with boiled eggs.