Shami Kebabs are a delicious combination of mince meat, gram lentil and spices. It is very popular in India and Pakistan. Chicken Shami Kabab Recipe is perfect to serve as side dish or you can also use these kebabs to make burger.
I use hanged curd/yogurt in this recipe to make kabab soft and juicy. Hanged curd means, yogurt without water. For this take yogurt in a muslin cloth and hang it until all water drains then use it.
In this recipe kebabs are made with chicken but you can use mutton or beef mince as well. But remember beef or mutton gets time to tenderize. If you are looking other shami kabab recipes, have a look on Beef Shami Kabab and Shahi Malai Shami Kabab.
How Freeze Shami Kabab
- You can also freeze these kebabs before frying for 2-3 weeks in a plastic box.
- Layer kebab in an air tight box then lay cling film over kababs, repeat layering and place in freezer.
- When you want to fry, just take out from freezer, dip in egg and fry
Easy Chicken Shami Kabab Recipe
- Chicken 1 kg (large pieces or you can also use boneless)
- Water 3 cups
- Bengal gram lentil (dal chana) 300g (washed and soaked)
- Onio 2 (sliced)
- Garlic 1 pod
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder 2 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Green chilies 8 (finely chopped)
- Green coriander ½ bunch (finely chopped)
- Garam masala powder 1 tsp
- Hanged curd/yogurt 2 tbsp
- Eggs 2 (beaten)
- Oil for frying
- Pour 3 cups of water in a pan; add chicken, gram lentil, onions, garlic, red chili powder and salt. When chicken is half tender, add coriander powder and cumin powder and cook until completely done.
- The mixture is just about dry, there should be little moisture. Check spices and adjust seasoning.
- Remove from heat. Let it cool. (Discard bones if chicken is with bones)
- Grind in a food processor until smooth.
- Now add hanged curd/yogurt, garam masala powder, chopped coriander and green chilies in it. Mix it well with hands.
- Leave covered in the fridge for an hour or two to set a little.
- Make flat kebab.
- Add just enough oil in frying pan to cover the surface. Dip the kebabs with the egg. Add 3 to 4 kebabs at a time and fry on medium low heat until brown and crisp from both sides.
- Serve with tomato ketchup or chili garlic sauce.