Buffalo Chicken Bites is a super delicious dish with soft and tender chicken coated in hot tangy sauce. After frying if you don’t want to coat the chicken leave it and serve just as it is. It gives a lip smacking taste.
Buffalo Chicken Bites Recipe
- Skinless chicken breasts 2 (cut into 1½" chunks)
- Buttermilk ½ cup
- Salt 1 tsp
- Red hot sauce ¾ cup
- Water 2 tbsp
- Butter 1 tbsp
- Sugar ½ tsp
- Cornstarch 1 tbsp + 1 cups
- Egg whites 3
- Flour ½ cup
- Baking soda ½ tsp
- Oil for frying
- Put the chicken, buttermilk and salt into a zip-lock bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or up to two hours).
- In a small pot, combine the hot sauce, water, butter, sugar and 1 tbsp cornstarch. Whisk over medium heat until thickened, 3 - 5 minutes. Turn off heat
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites just until very foamy and soft peaks just start to form.
- In a second medium bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, remaining 1½ cups cornstarch and 6½ tbsp of the hot sauce until it resembles coarse meal.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk marinade and lightly pat dry. Add half of the chicken to the egg whites and toss to coat well. Remove the chicken from the egg whites and add it to the cornstarch mixture, tossing to coat, and then pressing the breading into the chicken to ensure it is well coated. Remove the chicken to a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken chunks.
- Heat oil and fry over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, until the chicken is golden brown, being sure not to over crowed the chicken (cook it in two or three batches). If necessary. While the chicken is frying, re-heat the sauce over medium heat.
- Toss the cooked chicken pieces with the sauce in a large bowl and serve.
Recipe credit Kitchen Trials